Thursday, July 20, 2017

Raqs Sharki 1-2-3: Randa Kamel - Time traveling with the stars of Egyptian Dance

Modern Legends - Randa Kamel (EG)
RANDA KAMEL was born in Mansoura, Egypt. When she was a kid, she had many problems with her family because she used to dance in her friends and neighbours weddings and in scholar festivals. In that traditionalist city, her family disapproved her pleasure of dancing.

At the age of 15, she began studying egyptian folklore with the famous group Reda. She took part of it during 7 years. Nevertheless, she never attended to oriental dance courses, she always developed her own style.

After studying to be a psychologist (which is a discipline that helps her to be a dancer), Randa began her career as a professional dancer at the age of 21, in Alexandria. She lived there fore two years.
Afterwards, she moved on to El Cairo and worked in restaurants and cabarets during four months until she began to work in Meridien hotel. There, she shared the stage during a week with the famous dancer Fifi Abdou.

Randa danced as soloist in the hotel´s night show for two years, and later she began to work in Nile Maxim, a luxury cruiser that sails through the Nile river.

She likes working in El Cairo because she loves live music, but she also likes traveling and teaching oriental dance. “When I dance abroad, I feel as my country and my culture´s messenger”. She also tells us about the belly dance prejudices in her country that: “In Egypt, we believe that the oriental dance is a representation of the women’s beauty in order to seduce men. But I don’t agree with this. This is a millenary dance, and one of the most difficult ways of dancing. That’s why I don’t dance in a seductive way”.

About her own style, Randa says that she puts together ballet steps, the folklore style of Suheir Zaki or Samia Gamal and her own invention steps.

For her: “dance must be energy and power, constant movement. I don’t like soft movements. I like to show different expressions, feelings; every single part of my body must move. I want that anyone that looks at me, feels my movements. It’s the only way to catch the spectator’s attention, to surprise them”.

Even if she enjoys dancing baladi and modern oriental, her favourite music is Um Kulthum, because “everything in these songs is beautiful, the music, the lyrics; there are so many feelings that they catch my heart”

Sources:
About Randa Kamel (from TitoAlahramFestival.com)
Randa Kamel (by Yasmina for Gilded Serpent.com)

Fotos:
 
 
 
 
 


About Randa Kamel:
Videos:
Randa dacing to Al Eih Besalouni at Oriental Passion Festival, 2011
Randa Kamel at Esquisse d'Orient, 2011
Randa at Spirit of Cairo in, Berlin, 2014
Randa in Dubai, UAE festival, 2016
Tip: You can buy Randa Kamel's workshop/show music via randakamelmusic.com

Enjoy!!

xx K.

PS: If you want to dance and move with me online.. then my BOOST Membership is for you! Tap www.khalidadance.com/vip for all details and the Enrollment form - The theme of 2024's live BOOST classes is 'Time Traveling with the Stars' - plus you'll get access to my bonus DVDs and online courses.

I look forward to welcoming you as a BOOSTie member :)

No comments:

Post a Comment